Xiye Bastida: If you adults won't save the world, we will | TED

56,063 views

2020-10-20・ 2182    883


In a deeply moving letter to her grandmother, Xiye Bastida reflects on what led her to become a leading voice for global climate activism -- from mobilizing school climate strikes to speaking at the United Nations Climate Summit alongside Greta Thunberg -- and traces her resolve, resilience and profound love of the earth to the values passed down to her. "Thank you for inviting me to love the world since the moment I was born," she says. Visit http://TED.com to get our entire library of TED Talks, transcripts, translations, personalized talk recommendations and more. The TED Talks channel features the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design -- plus science, business, global issues, the arts and more. You're welcome to link to or embed these videos, forward them to others and share these ideas with people you know. Follow TED on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TEDTalks Like TED on Facebook: http://facebook.com/TED Subscribe to our channel: http://youtube.com/TED TED's videos may be used for non-commercial purposes under a Creative Commons License, Attribution–Non Commercial–No Derivatives (or the CC BY – NC – ND 4.0 International) and in accordance with our TED Talks Usage Policy (https://www.ted.com/about/our-organization/our-policies-terms/ted-talks-usage-policy). For more information on using TED for commercial purposes (e.g. employee learning, in a film or online course), please submit a Media Request at https://media-requests.ted.com

Instruction

Double-click on the English captions to play the video from there.

翻译人员: Lily Xu 校对人员: Yolanda Zhang
00:13
Dear Abuelita,
亲爱的外婆,
00:15
I know I haven't been home for a while.
我知道我已经很久没有回家了。
00:17
You are in our lovely home in Mexico,
你在我们墨西哥温暖的家里,
00:19
and I'm here in the US,
而我正在美国,
00:22
fighting for our future.
为我们的未来而战。
00:23
You're probably watering the roses,
也许你正在给玫瑰浇水,
00:26
taking care of the peaches
照顾那些桃树,
00:28
and making sure your turtles are well-fed.
或是在给你的乌龟喂食。
00:31
That's one of the things I miss the most about home --
这是我最想念的 关于家乡的事情——
00:34
spending time with the flowers
身处在花丛之中
00:36
while you tell me stories about your childhood.
听你讲述你的童年趣事。
00:40
As you know, we have been living in New York City since 2015.
与您所知,自从 2015 年以来, 我们就一直居住在纽约市。
00:44
But life has completely changed over the past year.
但是在过去的一年里 我们的生活彻底的改变了。
00:48
At first, New York City was about museums
以前,纽约市全是博物馆、
00:51
and parks
公园、
00:52
and school and friends.
学校和朋友。
00:54
Now it serves as a web
而如今,它就像一个网络,
00:57
that connects me with all the other people
把我和所有其他 通过组织运动拯救地球的人
00:59
who are organizing to save the planet.
联系在了一起。
01:02
You know how it started for me?
您知道这一切是怎么开始的吗?
01:04
It was Dad and his wisdom.
是源于爸爸和他的智慧。
01:07
Everything you taught him, he went and taught the world.
您教给他的一切, 他都教给了全世界。
01:11
All of his words about the responsibility that we have as humans
他把所有关于我们作为人类
01:16
to live in balance with nature
应与自然和谐相处的责任
01:18
were passed down to me.
都传递给了我。
01:20
I noticed the universal disconnect to our planet
我注意到,人们的生活 与我们的星球是脱节的,
01:24
and remembered what you once told me:
并想起您曾经告诉过我:
01:26
"Leave everything better than you found it."
“让一切都比你发现它们时更美好。”
01:30
I know you were talking about the dishes,
我知道您指的是饭后洗碗,
01:33
but of course, that applies to the planet as well.
但是当然,对于地球也一样。
01:36
I didn't know what to do at first.
刚开始,我并不知道 自己应该做些什么。
01:39
The world is so big,
世界如此辽阔,
01:40
and it has so many bad habits.
它还有很多的不足之处。
01:42
I didn't know how a 15-year-old was supposed to change anything,
当时,我完全不知道 一个 15 岁的孩子如何做出改变,
01:47
but I had to try.
但是我必须去尝试。
01:49
To put this philosophy into practice,
为了实践这个理念,
01:51
I joined the environmental club at my high school.
我加入了学校的环境俱乐部。
01:53
However, I noticed that my classmates were talking about recycling
但是,我注意到同学们 都在谈论环保,
01:58
and watching movies about the ocean.
或是在看关于海洋的纪录片。
02:00
It was a view of environmentalism
这迎合了一种无效的
02:03
that was so catered towards an ineffective way of climate activism,
环保主义观点,
02:07
one that blames the consumer for the climate crisis
也就是将全球变暖危机的责任
02:11
and preaches that temperatures are going up
推卸到消费者的身上,
02:13
because we forgot to bring a reusable bag to the store.
因为我们买菜时 常常忘记使用环保袋。
02:17
You taught me that taking care of Mother Earth
您教我,保护地球母亲的关键,
02:20
is about every decision that we make as a collective.
在于我们大家做的每一个选择。
02:25
I am happy to tell you, Abuelita,
外婆,我很高兴地告诉您,
02:27
that I changed everybody's mind in that club.
我改变了俱乐部里 每一个人的观点。
02:30
Instead of talking about recycling,
我们不再只是单纯谈论环保,
02:32
we started to write letters to our politicians
还开始给政治家写信,
02:35
to ban soft plastic altogether.
建议禁止使用软塑料。
02:38
And then, the unexpected happened:
然后,意想不到的事发生了:
02:41
we started striking from school.
我们从学校开始罢工。
02:45
I know you've probably seen it on the news,
也许您从电视上看到了,
02:47
and maybe it's not that special anymore.
也许那并不是一个新鲜事物了。
02:50
But at the time, it was a huge deal, Abuelita.
但当时,那是一个重大新闻。
02:53
Imagine kids not going to school, because we want people to save the world.
想象一下,孩子们放弃上学, 只为了号召人们去拯救世界。
02:58
(Video) Crowd: Another world is possible! We are unstoppable!
(视频)群众: 创造新的世界!我们势不可挡!
03:00
Xiye Bastida: For the first global climate strike,
巴斯蒂达: 第一场全球气候罢工的组织者
03:03
which was called on by Greta Thunberg,
是格雷塔·通贝里 (Greta Thunberg),
03:05
I got 600 of my classmates to walk out with me.
我说服了六百名同学 跟我一起去参加。
03:10
Greta Thunberg is a teenager who first started striking for climate.
格雷塔·通贝里是最初开始 为了气候而罢工的一名青少年。
03:14
Her boldness inspired me,
她的魄力启发了我,
03:16
and I was shocked by the realization
并且我惊奇地发现,
03:19
that youth could turn public opinion on social issues.
年轻人可以将公众舆论 转移到社会问题上。
03:24
The movement exploded.
这项运动很快流行起来。
03:25
(Video) Crowd: Shut it down!
(视频)群众: 关掉它!
03:26
XB: And I became one of the main organizers
西耶·巴斯达: 而我也成为了这项活动
03:28
for New York, the US and the world.
在纽约、美国 和全世界的主要组织者之一。
(视频)西耶·巴斯达:我们想要什么? 群众:气候正义!
03:31
(Video) XB: What do we want? Crowd: Climate justice!
西耶·巴斯达:什么时候? 群众:现在!
03:33
XB: When do we want it? Crowd: Now!
西耶·巴斯达:我开始谈论 气候正义、原住民权利
03:35
XB: I started speaking up about climate justice and Indigenous rights
和代际合作。
03:38
and intergenerational cooperation.
03:40
That was only the beginning, though.
这一切还只是开始。
03:43
The busiest week of my life
我人生中最忙碌的一周
03:44
will forever be the week of September 20, 2019.
将永远是 2019 年 9 月 20 日那周。
03:49
Me and my friends got 300,000 people to strike for climate in New York.
我和我的朋友说服了 30 万人 参与纽约的气候罢工活动。
03:56
I wish you could have been there.
我多么希望您当时也在场。
03:57
We walked through Wall Street, demanding climate justice.
我们走上华尔街, 为气候正义而游行。
04:00
(Video) Crowd: No more coal, no more oil, keep the carbon in the soil!
(视频)群众:不要煤炭! 不要石油!将碳保留在土壤中!
西耶·巴斯达:同月, 我参加了联合国的气候专委会,
04:03
XB: That same month, I went to the United Nations Climate Summit.
并在阿尔·戈尔的 讨论小组中发言。
04:07
I spoke on a panel with Al Gore.
04:09
I met Jay Inslee and Naomi Klein and Bill McKibben
我遇见了杰伊·因斯利, 娜奥米·克莱因,比尔·麦克基本,
04:13
and the president of the United Nations.
还有联合国主席。
04:16
It was the most amazing week of my life,
那是我一生中最精彩的一周,
04:19
because everyone I knew came together --
因为我认识的每个人 都聚在了一起——
04:22
all my teachers, all my classmates ...
我所有的老师和同学,
04:24
And even some of my favorite stores closed down to strike for climate.
甚至我最喜欢的一些商店 也为气候罢工而关闭。
04:30
If you had asked me why I did all of that,
如果您问我为什么要做这些事情,
04:33
my only answer would be,
我唯一的答案就是:
04:35
"How could I not?"
“我怎能视而不见呢?”
04:37
It's been one year since it all started for me,
这些活动已经持续一年了,
04:41
and it gets a little tiring at times.
有时会使人精疲力尽。
04:43
But if there is one thing that you taught me, it's resilience.
但是,假如您只教过我一件事, 那就是持之以恒。
04:47
I remember that you went to Mexico City every day for 30 years
我记得,您以前为了养家糊口
04:52
to get money for the family.
每天都去墨西哥城, 坚持了 30 年。
04:54
And I know that Abuelito has been going out for 20 years
我还知道外公已经连续 20 年,
04:58
to protect sacred land from big companies that want to take it.
每天都去保护圣地, 阻止想要占领它的大公司。
05:02
A year is nothing
比起我们家庭所经历的艰辛,
05:03
compared to the struggles that our family has been through.
这一年并不算什么。
05:06
And if our struggles make the world a better place,
如果我们的奋斗 可以使这个世界变得更好,
05:10
they will make us better people.
那么我们也会成为更好的自我。
05:12
There have been some hardships, Abuelita.
困难无处不在。
05:15
Out there in the world,
在外面的世界里,
05:16
people expect us kids to know everything,
人们觉得孩子们应该知道一切,
05:19
or at least they want us to.
至少他们希望是。
05:21
They ask questions and I give answers,
他们问问题,我回答,
05:24
as if I really knew how the world works.
好像我真的明白 这一切是怎么回事似的。
05:26
They want hope, and we give it.
他们想要希望,我们就要满足。
05:30
I have organized, written, spoken and read about climate and policy
在过去一年里的每一天,
我组织过、写过、说过,也读过 关于气候和政策的运动和信息。
05:35
almost every day for the past year.
05:39
And I'm just a little worried
但是外婆,
05:40
that I won't be able to do enough, Abuelita.
我还是有点担心 我做的还不够多。
05:44
For me, being 18 years old and trying to save the world
对我来说,作为一个想要 试图拯救世界的 18 岁青年,
05:48
means being a climate activist.
意味着成为一个气候活动家。
05:50
Before, maybe it meant studying to be a doctor
之前,这也许意味着成为一名医生,
05:53
or a politician or a researcher.
一名政治家,或者科研人员。
05:55
But I can't wait to grow up and become one of those things.
但是我不能等到长大 再去做那些事情。
05:59
The planet is suffering,
地球的环境正在持续恶化,
06:01
and we don't have the luxury of time anymore.
留给我们的时间不多了。
06:05
Saving the world as a teenager means being good with words,
一个拯救世界的少年 需要擅长演说,
06:09
understanding the science behind the climate crisis,
了解气候危机背后的科学,
06:12
bringing a unique perspective into the issue to stand out
将独特的观点带入问题中,
06:15
and forgetting about almost everything else.
然后把一切不相干的事都忘掉。
06:19
But sometimes, I want to care about other things again.
但有时候,我也很想 关心那些不相干的事。
06:22
I want to be able to sing and dance and do gymnastics.
我想去唱歌、跳舞、做体操。
06:26
I truly feel that if all of us took care of the Earth
我真切的感受到,如果所有人 开始把关心地球的环境
06:30
as a practice,
作为实践,
06:31
as a culture,
作为文化,
06:33
none of us would have to be full-time climate activists.
那么我们就都不必成为 专职的气候活动家。
06:37
When businesses turn sustainable,
当企业开始注重环保时,
06:39
when the power grid runs on renewable energy,
当电网开始使用可再生能源时,
06:42
when the school curriculum teaches us
当学校开始教育我们,
06:45
that taking care of the Earth is part of our humanity,
关心地球的环境 是人性的一部分时,
06:50
maybe I can do gymnastics once again.
也许我就可以再次学体操了。
06:52
Don't you think so, Abuelita?
您认为呢,外婆?
06:54
We can do this.
我们是可以做到的。
06:56
All I'm trying to do with my work
我的工作
06:58
is give that optimistic mindset to other people.
就是将积极的思维带给人们。
07:01
But it's been a little hard.
但是这个过程有些艰难, 难免充斥着
07:03
There is greed,
贪婪、
07:05
there's pride,
骄傲、
07:06
there's money,
金钱,
07:07
and there's materialism.
还有物质主义。
07:09
People make it so easy for me to talk to them,
人们非常欢迎我的发言,
07:12
but they make it so hard for me to teach them.
却拒绝接受我的建议。
07:16
I want them to have the confidence to always do their best.
我希望他们有信心永远做到最好。
07:20
I want them to have the heart and the courage
我希望他们能够真心、勇敢的
07:22
to love the world,
去爱这个世界——
07:24
just like you taught me.
就如同您教我的一样。
07:26
I wrote this letter to thank you.
我写这封信是为了感谢您。
07:28
Thank you for inviting me to love the world
感谢您从我出生的那刻起
07:31
since the moment I was born.
就邀请我一起爱这个世界。
07:33
Thank you for laughing at everything.
谢谢您对每件事都一笑置之。
07:35
Thank you for teaching me
也谢谢您教导我,
07:37
that hope and optimism are the most powerful tools we have
不管遇到什么困难,
希望和快乐都是我们 最强有力的工具。
07:41
to tackle any problem.
07:43
I do this work because you showed me
我之所以做这一切, 是因为您让我明白,
07:46
that resilience, love and knowledge
持之以恒、爱和知识
07:48
are enough to make a difference.
足以催生改变。
07:51
I want to go back to Mexico and visit you.
我想回墨西哥看您,
07:53
I want to show you the pictures of the things that I have done.
想给您看我活动的照片,
07:57
I want to show you the climate legislation
想给您看我们已经被通过的
07:59
that we've been able to pass.
气候法案。
08:01
I want to smell the flowers
我想闻闻花香,
08:02
and fight for climate justice alongside you.
想跟您站在一起, 为气候正义打拼。
08:06
Te quiero mucho.
(墨西哥语) Te quiero mucho。
08:07
I love you.
我爱您。
08:08
Xiye.
西野。
08:10
[Te quiero mucho. Xiye.]
【爱您的,西野】
About this site

This site was created for the purpose of learning English through video.

Each video can be played with simultaneous captions in English and your native language.

Double-click on the English captions will play the video from there.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please contact us using this contact form.